- Questions for a new technology - A framework for deciding when to bring something new into the stack. Read this before following the cool kids down the latest rabbit hole.
- The Agile Manifesto: A Software Architect's Perspective
- Distributed systems vocabulary.
- Describing fault domains.
- The Architecture of Open Source Applications - A bunch of case studies
- Software Architecture Guide - Martin Fowler has published much excellent material on architecture. This page provides an overview and entry point.
- Software Architecture is Overrated, Clear and Simple Design is Underrated - I think this is more of an argument against "architecture theater" than appropriate architecture.
- What is a Software Architect? - One architect's view & study guide.
- The Myth of Architect as Chess Master - What architects are not.
- The Elephant in the Architecture - "hy business value should be treated as an architectural attribute"
- Self-Contained Systems - A middle path between monolith and microservice.
- Architecture Jams: a Collaborative Way of Designing Software
- Your technology architecture and engineering organization should coevolve as your startup grows
- Prisma - Generalized GraphQL/REST middleware layer in JS. Potentially useful for combining responses from multiple microservices.
- How to make your web app work offline - "Service workers, caches, IndexedDB and PWA."
- On Sharding
- Eventing Facets - Excellent series on eventing and messaging services from Tim Bray.
- Things I Wished More Developers Knew About Databases
- Evolving Regional Evacuation - How Netflx manages resilience at scale.
- Observations on Observability
- Beginners guide to gateways and proxies
- The Open Guide to Amazon Web Services - Tons and tons of information. Start here.
- [[https://www.trek10.com/blog/Trek10 Blog]] - Blog from an AWS-focused consulting firm
- Zero trust architecture design principles - I feel like this chunk of architecture is becoming increasingly important.
- postgresqltuner - "''postgresqltuner.pl'' is a simple script to analyse your PostgreSQL database. It is inspired by ''mysqltuner.pl''."
- Vertically Scaling PostgreSQL
- Active Record Extended - "Active Record Extended is essentially providing users with the other half of Postgreses querying abilities. Due to Rails/ActiveRecord/Arel being designed to be DB agnostic, there are a lot of left out features."
- innotop - ''top''-like performance monitoring specifically for InnoDB
- Python Data Science Handbook - "This repository contains the entire Python Data Science Handbook, in the form of (free!) Jupyter notebooks."